CV Content

What information should be at the top of my CV?

• full name
• your address
• your email address
• your telephone number
• other kind of information, only if is asked for, or if you consider it necessary (date of birth, nationality, driving license, marital status)

What information should be in the main body of my CV?

• the most important information you need to put in is a passage to sell yourself to your future employer. This part of your CV should say something like, "I am a lively, enthusiastic team worker," or, "I am a very strong sales person with proven track history."
• educational history
• employment history (with no gaps)

Do I need to add dates of my work history?

It's very important that you put the correct dates of your work history on your CV.
• the one thing that employers don't want to see is gaps.
• put the month that you finished if you finished a job in a certain month.
Is there a gap of three months or four months between starting a new job? Than put on your CV that you were unemployed, or that you went traveling, etc. An employer does not want to see a gap on a CV. Why? Because they may suspect that something else is going on. They don't need to have to probe into those sorts of areas.

Do I need to add descriptions of my jobs in my work history?

• Yes! In the work history section of your CV, include the titles of roles you have had. It's also a good idea to give your employer an idea of what that job was all about. You may want to list some duties and responsibilities that you had within certain jobs and achievements.

A template of how it could look like:
_______________________________________

Company, City, Country
Position: XYZ
Responsibilities:
• xyz
• abc
Achievements:
• xyz
• abc
_______________________________________

What information should I not put on my CV?

• keep your CV as straightforward as possible and as professional as possible
• do not include too much information.
• do not put on your CV things like your favorite poem or rock band, or what your bad habits are. Employers want to look at your potential career with them on your CV, not your bad habits.

Should I add my hobbies and interests?

• yes, from an employer's perspective, it's a good idea if you include hobbies and interests that you may have.
• are you playing handball, for example? Put than down that you play handball, because it gives a good indication as to the fact that you may be a good team player.
• are you involved with the arts? Is important to include information about that, because your employer may be looking for creativity, and so on.

What is a Personal Statement Value Statement, and do I need to include one?

• include a Personal Statement in the main body of your CV.
• why? The employers are looking at the type of person that you are. Don't be too generic. If you're a good communicator with strong team working skills, put that example down. It is much better to give an example of why you are like that. With your CV you have an opportunity to sell yourself to your future employer.

Should I lie on my CV?

I would recommend that you never, ever lie on your CV.
Why? There are a lot of companies that perform a very comprehensive CV checking system for employers. If you lie, you will get found out, either at the interview or later on in the role.

Do I need to say where I went to school?

Yes, it will give your employer a good idea of the educational standard that you've received, therefore it's a very good idea if you include on your CV where and when you went to school.

Do I need to say where I went to university?

Yes! In this case you will provide them good information as to your career aspirations and the level of education that you've received, therefore it's good if you let your employer know the university and the course you chose, and why.

Do I need to include my grades and my results?

If you are a fresh graduate, with no relevant work experience, to add this kind of information can be very useful for the future employer to know the grades that you achieved; the areas that you're particularly going to shine in: economics, languages, sciences.. But please, do not add ALL exams you had through the 3/5 years or ALL grades. Final exams are enough.

Should I add my future ambitions?

• Yes, because your prospective employer are very interested in what you aspire to be in life, what your future ambitions are.
• a lot of employers don't just want you for a year, they want to carve a career for you. Therefore, if they know what your goals and aspirations in life are, they may be able to match them.

What is the ideal length for a CV?

• two pages of eight-fourths.
• does your CV runs to five or six pages? The employer is going to lose interest reading your CV.
• if it runs over two pages a little bit I believe that should still be fine. Instead of trying to squeeze it all on two pages, you make the font unreadable because being than too small and over two pages is fine.
• five or six is much much too much!!!

My CV is too short - how do I bulk it out?

• is your CV only running to one page and you feel that you need to bulk it out? Try not to make the font so big that it looks like baby speak.
The best thing you can do is elaborate on your selling statements. Capture the interest of the potential employer who will see your CV.
• Is there still space free? Perhaps consider bulking out the hobbies and interests section.
• still problems? Changing the spacing or font type in certain areas of the CV would be a good idea.

How long will a potential employer spend looking at my CV?

• the first time for about 9 seconds.
Remember! They've got a lot of CVs that they're going through, so it's absolutely essential that you capture their attention very, very quickly.

Having a very strong values statement, in terms of selling yourself, in the main bulk of your CV could attract their attention because that area is where they're going to look first.

What happens to my CV when it reaches the employer?

• make sure that it ends up on the right person's desk because when you send your CV over to your potential employer, it could end up on anybody's desk.
• your CV could go to HR or it could go to the assistant of the person who's interviewing you.
Therefore it's absolutely essential that your CV is neat and has some point of interest on the front page, in order for people to respond to it and do something with it.

What typical errors do people make in CVs?

• typing errors and spelling errors are the most common.

Recommendations:
• put your CV through a spell checker,
• read it through yourself thoroughly
• get somebody else to proofread it for you as well.
If it has any errors, no matter how simple they are, that CV will potentially get rejected.

Other areas that you may find people making mistakes with CVs:
• use of too many fonts, which make it look very messy,
• the overuse of color, trying to make it look too jazzy.
Employers reject CVs on those bases!!!

Should I add my date of birth and health status to my CV?

• it is not a legal requirement but if you decide to add this information about your date of birth and health status add it at the top of your CV together with personal informations.

I have dyslexia/learning disabilities - should I mention it on my CV?

Ask yourself. Is this relevant for the position I apply for? If yes, than add this type of information. If it's not relevant to the problem at all, don't bother.

Good luck!

Other kind of questions? Let comment and I will get in touch with you asap!

Gabriela

2 comments:

Atif said...

Hi there, i found your blog very useful. Thanks for all the hard work.
I have a query for you. Im IT professional and maintaining a technical blog too. I want to put this on my CV, is it ok to do so? If it is, under what heading should i put it, please suggest one e.g.'Publications'(which is probably not appropriate for a blog i guess) I dont want to put that in my contact detail as my website because it might go un-noticed there. However, if i put it in the main body under some specific heading it might be helpful for my professional profile and for my CV too.

Unknown said...

Unemployment is the worst case, but these can be minimized through education to everyone. In India, Government has made compulsory education to the all the children's and i hope in future there are more job openings and everyone gets benefited. Through this site Best of luck for getting a good jobs in your carrer.